Welcome to our Science Page!
The National Curriculum for sciences aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- Are equipped with the scientific knowledge require to understand the uses of and implications of science, today and for the future.
Our Science GOLD Mark
- In recognition of all the hard work that we have put into Science learning within the school we have been awarded the Science Gold Mark. This is an amazing achievement and is something to celebrate. A huge congratulations to everyone but especially to the Science Team who have led the developments in Science.
- Every year we have a fantastic science week which is full of explosive learning. Each year the theme is different which is what our learning is based around. We have been involved in engineering competitions, experiments and had visitors into the school.
- We host an amazing science fair which is open to all year groups. Every child has the opportunity to create their own science experiment with a parent/carer and bring it into the fair to show off what they have created. The winners are chosen to then join our Island Science Fair where winners from schools from across the Island come and join us. The prizes are amazing and we ask a special guest to come and judge.
Hands On Science
- At Halfway Houses we encourage and promote hands on science. The children get involved in a range of different experiments and investigations to encourage them to think scientifically. We also use the outside space to teach our lessons and for the children to explore as part of their science learning.
- Every year we ask children in years 5 and 6 to be Science apprentices. They have the chance to promote science across the school, help with science week and be involved in science learning across the school.
We have an amazing Forest School where we like to use for our science learning.
Take a look at our Forest School page to see what we have been up to - click on the image below.