Scroll to content
Sunny Bank Primary School

Halfway HousesPrimary School

Change Language

SEND Information Report


SEND Information Report


Questions and Answers for parents regarding SEND Provision at Halfway Houses Primary School.


This information report has been compiled in line with any recent changes in Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) legislation

Does this tell you what you want to know?

Can you understand it/find out what you need to know?

Please e-mail or write to us with your comments before the end of Term 3 2018.


What SEND support may include.

  • Personalised plan for your child.
  • Extra support from a Teacher or Teaching Assistant.
  • Making or changing materials and equipment.
  • Observing your child in class or during breaks and keeping records.
  • Making sure your child has understood things by encouraging them to ask questions and to try something they may find difficult.
  • Supporting your child with physical or personal care, such as eating. Getting around school safely, toileting or dressing.


Your child may be placed on the SEN register as EHCP (Education and Healthcare Plan) or SEN support where your child may be receiving extra interventions to help them catch up with their peers. We also keep a register for children who may be vulnerable to under achieving so that we can put the right interventions in to minimise barriers to learning.


How does Halfway Houses Primary School ensure that children who need extra help are identified early?


At Halfway Houses Primary School we monitor the progress of all pupils 6 times a year during pupil progress meetings. Children are identified as having special educational needs through a variety of ways

including the following:-


  • Your child is performing below age related levels.
  • Concerns are raised by you as parents.
  • Concerns are raised by the Teacher, for example behaviour or self-esteem that is affecting performance. These concerns are shared every 2 weeks at Connections Meetings between the SENDCo, Pastoral Support Leader, Family Liaison Officer, Headteacher/Deputy Headteacher.
  • Independent Speech and Language Assessment.
  • Use of assessments in school including Salford reading assessments, Cognitive Ability Tests in year 5, Speech Link and Language Link (Infant), British Picture Vocabulary Scale, Phonics screening in Y1, Termly assessments in Reading, Writing and Maths, optional Key Stage 2 tests (Bookpoint) and end of Key Stage SATS.
  • Consultations between Class Teachers and members of the Leadership Team where progress data is discussed.
  • Liaison with external agencies e.g. Specialist Teacher Service, NHS Speech and Language, Educational Psychology Service.
  • Health diagnosis, particularly where this impacts on learning, through a Paediatrician.


Who are the best people to talk to at Halfway Houses Primary School about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?


  • Talk to us - in the first instance contact your child’s Class Teacher; if you still have concerns you can contact the SENDCo Felicity Walsh, Pastoral Support Worker Debbie Spocchia or our Family Liaison Officer (FLO) Helen Potts.
  • We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that they are able to do the same with us.


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in Halfway Houses Primary School?


Class Teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)The Class Teacher will use a Provision Map to set out the support your child is receiving and evaluate the success of any interventions.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the Teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to help support your child’s learning, for example, Precision Teaching, Social skills groups or Memory Skills work, Gross Motor and Fine Motor skills work and Sensory Circuits.
  • Your child’s Teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their learning/understanding and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress. Specific group work/intervention take place in the classroom or just outside of the class, facilitated by a Teacher or Teaching Assistant. Some children are given an Education and Healthcare Plan with specific targets on Personalised Plans so that it is easy to track progress.


SEN Code of Practice 2014: SEN Support (SS)


This means that a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/PSW/FLO/Class Teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school and sometimes from a professional outside school. This may be from

  • Specialist Teacher Service (including Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Behaviour support, Communication and Interaction, Physical and Sensory) Speech and Language Therapy Team, Child Paediatricians, Occupational Therapy Team. You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to one of these specialist professionals.


At Halfway Houses Primary School School we make provision for every kind of frequently occurring special educational needs without a statement of special educational needs/ Education and Healthcare Plan. For instance dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, speech and language needs, Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome, mental health and behaviour difficulties. There are other kinds of special educational need which do not occur as frequently and with which the school may be less familiar, but we can access training and advice so that these kinds of needs can be met. For example, a medical need such as diabetes or epilepsy.


The admission arrangements for pupils with or without an Educational Health Care Plan do not discriminate against or disadvantage disabled children or those with special educational needs.


How will the school let me know I am concerned about my child’s progress at school?


  • The Class Teacher will meet parents at least twice a year (this could be part of parent’s evening) to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress.
  • Class Teachers are always happy to discuss your child’s needs if you have questions and concerns in between more formal meetings.
  • An appointment can be made with the SENDCo, Family Liaison Officer or Pastoral Support Worker to discuss more support if necessary.


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between different levels?


  • It is the responsibility of all Teachers to cater for the special needs of all the children within their classes on a daily basis.
  • We ensure that all children with special educational needs are provided for to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available. The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support.
  • Any child who requires a high level of support (exceeding £6,000) may be eligible for High Needs Funding.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?


We have regular visits from Specialist Teacher Service, where a child has been taken to LIFT (Local Inclusion Forum Team) in order to access the correct provision for their learning needs. We have access to The Orchards Therapy Team in Sittingbourne where we access both Speech and Language and Occupational Therapy. We can also access Early Help for families where children may be referred to Young Healthy Minds or Project Salus. We can also access CYPMHS (Child and Young people Mental Health Service), where needed. The Children’s Centres, Beaches in Warden Bay, Seashells in Sheerness and Ladybirds in Queenborough.


How are the Teachers and Teaching Assistants in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?


  • In recent years, relevant support staff have had training in Autism Awareness and Sensory Circuits as well as outside training for Autism, Attachment and Emotional Mental Health.
  • We have various staff that are trained to work with children on their gross motor skills development as well as fine motor skill development.
  • All Teachers and TAs have undertaken 1 out of 3 Makaton training sessions with STLS. Some TAs have received Speech and Language training, Junior and Infant Language and Speech Link, Social Stories and Visual Timetables, Communicate in Print and working with 1-1 pupils who have challenging behaviour.
  • Senior Leaders and other relevant members of staff have been trained using Team-Teach Positive Handling, (wherever this method is used any incidents are recorded in detail.)


Training and CPD is highly regarded at Halfway Houses Primary School and is seen as an ongoing process and updated when and where needed depending on the needs of our current training and the experience of any of our staff members, including Teachers and TA’s.


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?


Our school understands the importance of differentiation in enabling children to access the curriculum depending upon their needs. Obviously it is dependent on the individual child’s particular/specific needs, as well as the funding given to support the child, as to how best children can access the curriculum. This is often done through class differentiation, discreet group support (both inside and outside of classes) and through Class Teacher support, Teaching Assistant support and one-to-one support where applicable. The curriculum will be adapted, where is required, as will the learning environment. It is important to make such changes in order for children to fully benefit from the broad and balanced curriculum offered at Halfway Houses Primary School.                               


How is Halfway Houses Primary School's environment accessible to children with SEND?


  • We ensure the school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school is on one site with double doors and a lift which can be easily accessed just outside the main lobby on the ground floor.
  • We have a Fire Evacuation chair located on the first floor which can be operated by our fully trained staff.
  • There is a disabled toilet located in each of the toilet areas, one each for girls and boys on the ground and first floors. In addition, we have a Hygiene Room for showering and changing use, which includes a hoist.
  • We ensure wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Breakfast Club before school is accessible to all children, including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  • As our ethos is to be fully inclusive for all children attending our school, we believe it is important to treat children with disabilities in the same way as every other child in our care. Education and generating understanding surrounding needs and difference is important for young people and such learning is offered through our PSHE lessons across the school.                                                           


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including physical activities and school trips?


  • All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips.
  • We will provide the necessary support to ensure that his is successful and may discuss this in advance with parents. It might be appropriate for a parent/carer to accompany a child on a school trip, depending upon the child’s individual needs.
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety is not compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities that will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided within the school environment, wherever possible.
  • The school provides extended services in the form of a Breakfast Club and After-School Club (in conjunction with Little Treasures). A variety of other school clubs are provided during lunchtimes and after school. We aim for these to be as inclusive as possible. Some children find the lunchtime period particularly challenging. Depending upon their needs, it might not be appropriate for them to eat in the dining hall with a large number of children or spend long periods of time outside. We have a lunchtime provision designated for this purpose, called The Nest. It is supervised daily by our SENDCo, FLO and Pastoral Worker.                           


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?


We have a caring, understanding ethos and are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity and believe that high self-esteem is crucial to children’s well-being and involvement. As a nurturing school, all of our vulnerable pupils are known to staff.


  • The Class Teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class.
  • The SENDCo, The FLO and The Pastoral Support Worker at Halfway Houses Primary School are able to offer support to both parents and children regarding their social and emotional well-being.
  • Prior to Connections Meetings, Class Teachers have the opportunity to raise their concerns on the Connections form. This may result in a referral to a particular agency outside of school e.g. Specialist Teacher Service, Child Paediatrician. Speech and Language Therapy Team, as mentioned previously in this report.
  • Attendance is routinely monitored by our Attendance Officer, Mrs Helen Potts. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported to the Headteacher and Governing Body. We work closely with the Education Welfare Officer to monitor and respond to issues with attendance and again those on the SEND register are included within this process. Weekly and Termly attendance awards are given out both to classes in the form of a trophy and to individuals being awarded a certificate, stationery and lucky dip prizes. We also provide weekly and termly challenges for attendance. Our FLO, Helen Potts oversees all of this.
  • We have a Behaviour and Exclusions Policy that all adults and pupils follow in school. If a child is at risk of exclusion a Pastoral Support Plan (PSP) is written with the parents and child to identify the specific issues and reflect the relevant support and targets in place. We use a restorative justice approach and after any serious behaviour incidents we will inform you about what has happened. We would then expect a child to reflect on their behaviour with you; this helps to identify why the incident happened and what the child needs to do differently next time to change and improve their behaviour.


How does the school manage the administration of medicines and personal care?


  • The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines (Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions Policy)
  • Parents need to contact the School Office if prescribed medication is recommended by healthcare professionals and needs to be taken during the school day. Any medication must be given to the school in the packaging that it was dispensed in by the pharmacy, with the child’s name and administration information clearly shown. A form must then be completed by the parent and medicines handed into and collected from the school office.
  • On a day-to-day basis, the administrative staff generally oversee the administration of any medicines.
  • As a staff we have regular training and updates on conditions and medication affecting individual children, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.
  • We have 5 qualified First Aid staff and 4 Paediatric First Aid trained staff.


How will we support your child when they are leaving, transferring from another school or setting or moving up into a new class?


We recognise that transitions can be challenging for a child with SEND, and we take appropriate steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

  • We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting.
  • We can create ‘Social Stories’ with/for children if transition is likely to prove challenging.
  • Extra transition days.
  • Sharing of documentation surrounding the child.
  • Liaison via email and telephone calls between new/current school.


If your child is joining us from another setting (including pre-school):

  • The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation staff when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them, with the support from Early Years Specialist Teacher Service and from you as parents.
  • Your child in the Early Years will be invited to a Teddy Bear's Picnic session during the summer term for both parents and children, prior to them starting in September.
  • For children moving from another school in-year we ensure through support from our Pastoral Team that we settle these children very quickly. This includes a walk around the school prior to them starting with a senior member of staff.


If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will ensure that all records about your child are passed on.
  • We will ensure that the next school is aware of any particular needs of your child.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo, PSW and Year 6 staff will discuss the specific needs of your children with staff from the secondary schools, (often the SENDCo or Pastoral Support Worker).
  • Many secondary schools also run programmes specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils at the end of the primary school stage of education. At any point where a child with SEND is preparing to leave our school we would seek to arrange additional visits to support smooth transition.

When moving classes in school:

  • We recognise that transition for all children can prove to be an anxious time and particularly for our vulnerable children.
  • A planning meeting between year group staff will take place. Provision Plans, Personalised Plans and Education and Healthcare Plans will be shared with new staff.
  • Children will spend 2 days in the second half of the summer term in their new classes to aid a smooth transition.
  • Vulnerable children will have Social Stories and a personalised transition booklet prepared and shared with them and these children will be encouraged to touch base with the next Teacher e.g. taking a message to them or showing their good work to the next Teacher. Careful planning is always completed for a smooth transition.


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND and who can I contact for further information?


  • The first point of contact would be your child’s Class Teacher to share your concerns.
  • You could also speak to the PSW (Pastoral Support Worker), the FLO (Family Liaison Officer), the SENDCo or the Deputy Headteacher.
  • Look at our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Policy on our website.
  • Information, Advice and Support Kent (IASK) provides free, impartial, confidential, advice, support and options around educational issues for parents who have children with special educational needs or disabilities (0-19). They empower parents to play an active and informed role in their child’s education. They can be contacted on:


Helpline: 03000 41 3000. Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm. 
Address: Shepway Centre, Oxford Road, Maidstone, ME15 8AW 
Telephone: 03000 412 412
Facebook: IASK on Facebook


The local authority’s local offer is published on the Kelsi website


Parents without internet access should make an appointment with the SENDCo for support to gain the information they require.        

Get in Touch

  • Halfway Houses Primary SchoolDanley Road, Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey,Kent, ME12 3AP

  • 01795 662875