This protocol has been developed with openness and transparency taking into account the thoughts of all staff and children. It has also considered and reflected upon current educational thinking and research.
1. Organisation Teachers must prepare their resources ahead of time, and make productive use of instructional time by maintaining good pace and ensuring that every second of their lessons count.
2. Shared objectives Teachers must ensure that the learning that occurs in the lesson is clear and fully understood by all. The WALT will be shared when it is considered to be most effective.
3. Classroom climate Teacher-pupil and pupil-pupil relationship should be characterised by warmth and respect where children are sociable and cooperative.
4. Behaviour Management Any necessary behaviour management must be calm, fair and effective.
5. Collaborative Learning Learners must have effective time in collaborative learning situations.
6. Personalised teaching and learning Teachers must show sensitivity to the individual needs of pupils and provide learning experiences that are challenging, rich and varied in content.
7. Making Links Explicit Links should be made to areas outside the specific lesson through a rich and diverse curriculum.
8. Assessment for Learning Substantial opportunities must be offered for pupils to reflect on their learning through review.
9. Plenary The plenary and/or mini plenary must be effectively used to discuss and deepen learning opportunities and to extend learning from/during the lesson.