Home Page

SEN Information Report


SEN Information Report

September 2015


The kinds of special needs for which provision is currently made at the school


We can make provision for every kind of frequently occurring special educational need without a statement of SEN (SSEN) / Education Health and Care Plan (EHC); for instance dyslexia, dyspraxia, speech, language and communication needs, autism, Asperger Syndrome, learning and behaviour difficulties.  There are other kinds of special educational needs which do not occur so frequently and with which the school is less familiar; these needs would require additional training and advice in order for us to meet them.


The school also currently meets the needs of children with a statement of special educational needs (to be converted to Educational Health and Care Plans) with the following kinds of special educational needs: Autism, physical disability, Down Syndrome, speech, language and communication needs, specific and moderate learning difficulties.


The Identification and assessment of children with special needs


At Halfway Houses Primary School children are identified through formal assessments, marking, teacher or parental concern, observations or sometimes children join the school with a special need already identified.  We monitor the progress of all pupils six times a year to review their academic progress.  We also use a range of assessments with pupils at various points:  Year 1 phonics screening; Speechlink; Language Link; Salford Reading Test.


Where progress is not sufficient, even if a special educational need has not been identified, we put in extra support to enable the pupil to catch up.  Examples of extra support are: precision teaching; additional phonics such as Sounds-Write; TRUGs; NESSY; STILE, Clever Fingers, social skills groups; gap filling based on gap analysis; additional small group or 1:1 interventions to address a specific need.


Some pupils may continue to make inadequate progress despite high quality teaching targeted at their areas of weakness.  For these pupils, and in consultation with parents, we will use a range of assessment tools to determine the cause of the learning difficulty.   At Halfway Houses Primary School we are experienced in using the following assessment tools:


Dyslexia Screening Test (DST), Speechlink, Language Link, Salford Reading Test.  We have access to external advisors who have a further range of assessment tools.  The purpose of this more detailed assessment is to understand what additional resources and different approaches are required to support the child enabling them to make better progress.


Provision for special needs


Each class teacher produces a termly provision map based on discussions at pupil progress meetings which is evaluated at the end of each term.  This will show the additional and different support provided for children with special needs.  All children follow the National curriculum and class teachers differentiate work to ensure the needs of individual and groups of children are being met.  Occasionally, those children with the greatest need may have a more individualised programme to meet their specific needs.  There are also interventions to provide additional support.  As well as support with the children’s learning we feel it is important to consider their social and emotional development and have recently appointed a Pastoral Officer, Mrs Spocchia who works alongside Mrs Potts, our Family Liaison Officer, and offers interventions across the school.  We work with other agencies that also provide programmes for some children.


SEN Co-ordinator

All teachers have responsibility for children with special needs.The SEN Co-ordinator is Felicity Walsh who can be contacted by phone on 01795 662875 or by email at


Staff expertise and training


Many teaching staff and teaching assistants have a wealth of experience in teaching children with special needs.  SEN training is available to and has been attended by staff in a variety of areas.  Basic awareness training is carried out in school and outside agencies such as the Specialist Teaching and Learning Service offer both general training and something more specific that will enable us to better support an individual or group of children.


Consulting with parents and children


All parents of pupils at Halfway Houses are invited to discuss the progress of their children twice a year and receive a full and detailed written report at the end of each year with a further opportunity to discuss any concerns.  In addition we are happy to arrange meetings outside of these times.   When a pupil has been identified as having SEN because special provision is being made for them, they will, where appropriate be consulted about and involved in the arrangements made for them as part of child-centred planning.  For younger children parents are likely to play a more significant role with the child taking more responsibility as they get older.  For those with statements (to be converted to EHC plans) an annual review is held that involves parents and the child either directly or indirectly.  For some children a termly plan is needed and parents are invited to meet in order to put this in place.  We consult with parents if we wish to involve other agencies.


Involvement of other agencies


The governing body have engaged with the following:


Free membership of the Local Inclusion Forum Team (LIFT) for access to specialist teaching and learning services.
A service level agreement with the Educational Psychology Service for 6 days per year
Access to the Local Authority’s service level agreement with Speech and Language Service; Occupational Health and Physiotherapy Services
Ability to make requests for advice and equipment loans from the Communicative and Assistive Technology Team
A service level agreement with Inclusion Service Kent (ISK) who deal mainly with the inclusion of children from ethnic minorities and those newly arrived in the country


Transition arrangements for pupils with SEN


At Halfway Houses we work closely with the educational settings to which pupils transfer at the end of Year 6 as well as the pre-school settings attended by children before coming to us.  For any child already identified as having SEN before starting school a transition meeting is held in order for us to seek information about the child’s difficulties and strategies that work.  This will involve representatives from the school, the pre-school, parents and, usually, any other agencies involved with the child.  We also contribute to ensuring a smooth transition for all SEN pupils to the secondary phase of their education through meetings and, where necessary, additional visits


Dealing with complaints


The normal arrangements for dealing with complaints at Halfway Houses are used for complaints about the provision made for SEN.  We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with class teacher, SENCO or Headteacher to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the governing body.  If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the governing body a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contacted.  If it remains unresolved the complainant can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability).  There are some circumstances, usually for children who have a SSEN/EHC plan where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against a decision of the Local Authority.  Complaints which fall into this category cannot be investigated by the school.


The Local Authority’s Local Offer


This can be accessed through


For more information please ask for a copy of the school’s Special Educational Needs Policy. This is also available to view on our School Policies page on this website.